Naturally Lesbian
Considering how beautiful Lesbian love is,
Why are so many people so afraid of us?
A lie repeated enough begins to be believed
They bully us with their propaganda of
“the birds and the bees,”
As if every creature must be paired male and female,
Making heterosexuality inevitable, inescapable, normal,
While making us freaks.
But do they think we don’t know basic biology?
Do they think we can’t read?
Do they really not know about the birds and the bees
What is more Lesbian than living in an all- female sisterhood,
A collective community of thousands of bees
taking care of each other endlessly?
Feeding each other from their mouths,
They live with such intimacy.
The mother queen only creates a few males when
she decides it’s time to start a new swarm,
and they fly briefly on the wind before dying.
So none of the bees we ever see,
Going from flower to flower,
collecting nectar for their community,
are male or even heterosexual.
Ants also have an almost all-female sisterhood.
So why are movies still made for children
Showing bees and ants as male?
Movies full of lies mold young minds.
One of these popular movies even has the main
Ant character voiced by a well-known pedophile –
A polite term for child molester.
When the media does show female animals in children’s movies,
they are often caricatured, ridiculous,
To convince us that true femaleness is silly and weak,
Ignoring female strength and compassion.
Movies are fantasies, but the harm is real.
Few books tell the truth about how
the world is not all heterosexual.
Many animals are Lesbian and Gay,
From fish to birds to mammals,
And I’ve lived with Lesbian rats.
“The birds and the bees” ignores Lesbian Bonobo chimpanzees,
our closest animal relatives.
With so many lies, it’s hard to know the truth.
Historians have said the Amazons are a myth,
But I saw them -- in the British Museum --
Ancient Greek friezes thousands of years old,
Perfectly carved, perfectly beautiful.
I saw the horrifying reality of Greek men
Killing female warriors with swords and spears –
Sculpture after sculpture – life-like beyond imagining.
Before cameras, they proudly document their achievement in stone –
faces showing the Amazons’ agony, the Amazons dying –
Each man in each scene naked,
to make it clear just who is triumphant.
Liquid movement frozen in time –
History as a work of art.
This ancient Greek culture which our culture
reveres as the beginning of “civilization,”
Shows the death of real civilization –
The time before patriarchy –
There – for all to see.
And recently a female archeologist found
the tomb of an Amazon, proving the myths true.
It isn’t just that we are told all females
must belong to males –
we are taught to call all animals “he,” and never “she,”
as if females count for nothing.
We are taught to prefer the male,
Treasure the male above all females
Accepting the normalcy of patriarchy
means learning to accept the norm of rape,
the murder of females,
and the glorification of war and violence in this world.
Male worship is a dangerous thing –
not the loving of individual kind and gentle males,
but the adoration of maleness as superior.
Someone I loved was raised by a mother
who hated her for being female.
Worse than the daily beatings, fractures, dislocations,
was being told by the woman who should have protected her
little girl that “girls are dirty and disgusting,
But boys are wonderful.
Yet in that community, some boys openly tortured
and killed small animals in the streets and
traveled in cowardly gangs to rape girls.
Male worship is dangerous when males are destroying the world.
I remember my girlhood friends
with their love of other girls.
I remember my best friend who I was in love with,
training,
yes,
I mean training herself
To be attracted to males.
It wasn’t easy to work so hard at what didn’t come naturally.
But knowing how we are supposed to behave
Frees us to be all who we can be.
Why are they so afraid of us?
Maybe if they know that we are no longer
Portrayed as freaks and monsters,
ALL females will do what comes naturally.
And without females’ support,
There can be no more patriarchy.
Bev Jo
2008
6 comments:
This poem is phenomenal. Like you gathered all the thoughts of gynophilic, biophilic thinkers into one central place. Thank you for the peace of thought that this poem has given me.
Thank you so much, Wolfie. It's quite liberal to me since I wrote it for a fairly liberal women's open mic, but even then I got a terrible name-calling attack from a new Lesbian friend.
But it makes it all worth it if it helped you.
Bev
"What is more Lesbian than living in an all- female sisterhood,
A collective community of thousands of bees
taking care of each other endlessly?
Feeding each other from their mouths,
They live with such intimacy."
cool/so very true/beautiful.
Thanks again, Sonia. I'm so glad you like it.
love,
Bev
I love this post Bev! May I link to you at my blog?
Bev this is wonderful. I've only recently started seriously delving into research on Amazons and that I now know that they *did* exist just makes my heart sing. Maybe one day, we shall have our own Amazon land the way they did.
Post a Comment